With warm temperatures and plenty of sunshine, summer is the best time of the year to get outside and get your heart rate going. It’s also one of the busiest times of year for many, which means it can be tough to fit in routine fitness. But trying something fun and new in the outdoors is a great way to spice things up and hold your attention well into beach season! Here are some of our favorite ways to stay active this summer.
- Rock Climbing and Bouldering — This fun and challenging activity helps you build strength and flexibility, especially in your upper arms, abs, quads, and calves. By the beginning of summer, mud and snow around the boulders in northern regions have usually dissipated, making it a great time to get out and climb. New to climbing? Make sure to take a course at a rock climbing gym or with an instructor beforehand.
- Paddleboard Yoga — Doing yoga on a standup paddleboard is one of the hottest fitness trends of the moment, and it’s not hard to see why. This activity combines the hard, strength-building work of paddling with a balance- and flexibility-boosting yoga practice, all in a cool, relaxing environment that provides the benefits of fresh air.
- Nordic Walking — Nordic walking involves the use of walking poles (similar to ski poles) in order to work out the entire body. It brings many more physical benefits than regular walking, as it builds more upper-body strength and requires more energy.
- Trampoline Jumping — Who says trampolines are just for kids? This classic summer activity can get a sweat-inducing upgrade when it’s used for basic aerobic activities and high-intensity cardio routines. You can go to a trampoline gym or hit the backyard with one of the many trampoline fitness videos available online.
- Rowing — Whether casual or competitive, the results of rowing are the same — a stronger upper body, back, and legs with less risk of injury. Plus, when you row with a kayak, canoe, or rowboat, you’re also lapping up the unique benefits of being outside in the summertime. Just make sure to wear some sunscreen!
Want to take up one of these amazing summer activities this year? Make sure to grab your Armpocket sports armband and take it with you as you reach towards your fitness goals. Our armbands help you stay focused on your workout while keeping your phone safely within arm’s reach.