In recent times, we’ve all had to adapt to making our homes hospitable to many of the activities we used to do away from home, including getting our recommended daily amount of exercise. Where we once burned calories on the treadmill at the gym or built muscle with the help of a skilled personal trainer, we’re now finding that home workouts are filling the void. With a few helpful hints, you'll never need to skip your exercise just because you can't get outside of your neighborhood. You may even find that you come to prefer the home fitness life!
Here are some great tips to help you learn how to work out at home in a way that suits you and your fitness goals.
- Set (and keep) specific workout times. Sticking to a schedule is one of the best ways to ensure that you keep your home workouts going. Even if your routine is as simple as watching a 20-minute YouTube workout (that’s great, by the way!), try to do it at the same time each day.
- Keep tracking progress. Don’t stop wearing your fitness band, logging calories or tracking your jogging routes when you’re keeping fit in the neighborhood. Wearing your Armpocket armband on the treadmill is a great way to ensure that your phone’s always on hand for checking fitness apps too.
- Create amped-up playlists. Or podcasts or audiobooks or whatever gets you moving! Audio in all forms helps us get pumped to sweat. Another reason to keep rockin’ your 5-star running band!
- Get a workout buddy (even a virtual one!). Working out with a buddy is proven to help people reach their exercise goals, but when you’re socially distancing or stuck at home for any reason, this can be tough. Buddy up with a virtual partner and check in on each other via video chat periodically.
- Create a designated workout space. You know how you automatically feel tired when you walk into the bedroom and hungry when you walk into the kitchen? The same theory applies to your workout space, ideally making you feel energized. Even if it’s a small corner of the living room or office rather than a sprawling home gym, having a designated space can put you in the workout mindset.
- Consider working out before work. If you’re working from home, it can be hard to get motivated to sweat after a long day. Consider waking up a bit earlier to exercise before you start the workday. It's a great way to jump start your body and begin the day with boundless energy!
- Go outside for more than just your jog. The porch or backyard is as good a place as any to move through your strengthening or fat-burning routine, so why not take it outside? You’ll be able to reap the benefits of sunshine and fresh air while you improve your physical health. Side note: don’t forget about your bike or the trampoline.
- Invest in small but powerful equipment. You don’t need a fancy stationary bike or treadmill to get a good sweat session from home. Consider affordable and portable home gear, like free weights, a resistance band, or a jump rope. No matter the activity you choose, no-slip Armpocket armbands are a great way to keep your phone close but out of your way!
- Switch it up. Without different classes every day and a floor full of fitness equipment, working out at home can get stale. Be sure to mix it up with new regimens and gear to keep things fresh.
- Exercise your way. And finally, our last tip: do what works for you. If your workout routine involves lifting weights at 11 p.m. or taking small exercise breaks throughout the day, that’s okay. As long as it helps you reach your fitness goals in a healthy way, you should count it as a win!